January 31, 2009

A little bit of everything

First of all I want to share something with you that made me really happy. Remember the Valentine's Day garland from a couple of days ago? Well, it made it into the Valentine's Day Round-up at One Pretty Thing! If you don't know One pretty thing yet - which I doubt - go check it out! It's the place to be if you're looking for inspiration, tutorials, seasonal crafts or crafts and pretty things in general. And I'm not just telling you that because my Valentine's hearts showed up there! The light-box I made last week: found the instructions through One Pretty Thing! The Obamicon-posters (here and here)? Found them through - yes! - One Pretty Thing! So, go over there and take a look!



As you might have noticed, I changed the // Between the lines // heading again. This time, it's a detail of a woven basket I bought earlier this week (I actually bought two...). At the Monoprix of all places! They're made of rolled-up newspaper strips - a nice way of recycling newspaper! I intend to use these baskets to organize some of my craft supplies. I really love them and so did the girls, who actually tried to claim them... These baskets made me think again about trying to weave, something I've been wanting to do for a long time. I got a nice book with weaving projects for kids a while ago - time to take a look at it! And as I was thinking about all this, I found these cute little Valentine's heart shaped baskets at Maya*Made ( maya*made: woven hearts: modernizing a classic). I've tried to make one yesterday and it looks like this technique might work well for making party hats, too. To be further investigated!



Also today, I started taking pictures of spices - make use of the light studio, of course! About ten years ago, on a short city trip to London with some friends, we ended up at Soho Spice for dinner, a (at that time) trendy Indian restaurant. I can't remember what we had for dinner, but I do remember their colorful walls and the place mats which were essentially pictures of spices on colorful backgrounds. I fell for these place mats and got a set from the waiter to take home. I framed them and had them up on our kitchen walls until we moved. They're probably still in a box somewhere on my in laws' attic. I definitely want to check next time we go. Anyway, when photographing the vegetables last weekend, I thought of those place mats and hence the spice-pictures. Work in progress...
Related Posts with Thumbnails