April 16, 2010

Back!!



She's back!! She's back and had a wonderful week! No need to tell we're all happy she's back!
But we oh so messed up at pick-up! I still feel horrible about it. I still feel like I could cry...

They were supposed to be back at 4:00pm today. Because I didn't want M. having to wait at school for too long in case little sister's bus would be late, I arranged with her teacher that I would pick her up a bit earlier this afternoon. I was at school way too early, had to wait for M. as she was still at her P.E. class, but she showed up at said time and we left school perfectly on schedule. We even had time to pick up a flower for little sister. All was going well.
M. and I, ended up being 15 minutes early at the pick-up location and so did daddy. And there, we ran into another mom who told us she just got a text message letting us know the kids were stuck in traffic and hence would be 15 to 30 minutes later. 'That would leave us enough time to go for a quick coffee'. And so we did with a couple of other parents. The rest of the story you can of course guess... The bus caught up on its delay and got there at the scheduled time. Only, we weren't there...
Can you believe this!? I could cry when I got a text message telling 'the kids are back', while we were still sipping our coffees...
Anyway, M. and I jumped up and started running like crazy - I guess K. was running too, I can't tell, because all I wanted was get there as fast as I could.
I'm not sure little H. actually noticed we weren't there yet. But it ruined everything for me - I wanted to see that bus pull up the parking area, I wanted to see those little faces behind the windows, I wanted to see that door open, I wanted to see my little girl and let her know we had been waiting for her to come back.

- instead, however, we had been sipping coffee...

6 comments:

nicole/brussels said...

geen schuldgevoelens, jullie konden dit niet voorzien....tenslotte waren jullie gedrietjes daar en dat zal ze fijngevonden hebben!
begrijp wel dat je ze graag had zien toekomen, in spanning wachten op de bus....en dan al die blije gezichtjes zien, de vriendjes afscheid zien nemen van elkaar na een leuke week samen! het voornaamste is dat ze niet moest staan wachten,zich afvragend waar jullie bleven! dat zou pas triestig geweest zijn!

Pascale said...

De kindjes werden een voor een van de bus gelaten, naarmate de mama's en papa's toekwamen. Zij hadden er geen erg in. En ze zat echt niet alleen op de bus - er zaten nog heel wat kindjes op. Maar de 'ontknoping' was niet fijn na zo'n week...
Bleek ook dat er na het eerste bericht van de directie onmiddellijk een ander bericht is geweest dat ze uit de opstopping waren, maar dat is helaas niet massaal verspreid. Ik weet wel beter voor volgende keer...

Baa-Me Kniits said...

So glad she is back and had a great time! Stay in the moment and don't sweat the small stuff, you know what they say....beware of expectations? Things have a way of not living up to our own high standards but that doesn't make them any less for what they are. I'm sure she was so excited and had so much to tell you about her week away that you being late is just a tiny blip on the radar. It will not be remembered by her only by you if that's what you choose. Hows that for deep and philosophical????? I would have cried too! its easy to be on the outside looking in with all the good advice :-)

Pascale said...

But good advice it is!! Thank you so much!
And yes, for her it was different and she wasn't the last one off the bus neither - I really think she didn't notice. All she said was: 'Why did you run?'

said...

Oh dear Pascale, as she hasn't noticed you weren't there you should not worry - really, I can understand you but next time it will be better...

My Mom totally forgot to pick me up once after a school trip. We moved to another city, far far away from Cologne and right after my first day at the new school we were told that the next week the class I was in will be off for a week skiing. I was 13, new in the area, class, different accent, not good at skiing (because in Cologne it's not one of the favorite sports) and during the trip I was not very happy. Then coming back everybody was picked up except of me - a teacher drove me home and so you see as my dear friend "Fish" is always sayng: It could have always been worse... and I've been on more trips with this class : )

karen said...

Pascale, one of the reasons I like your blog so much is that you are very "real." We can relate to the happy and disappointing moments. I love how hard you worked to make your daughter's whole trip a wonderful experience, from start to finish. She must have felt so well-loved with all the sweet treats you tucked in, which might explain why she was not concerned at the end. I also panic and become upset when I am late or when "moments" don't go as I had hoped they would. I freak out (a little) less now since I've realized my kids often view those moments differently. If I am late, for example, they see it as extra time to talk with friends. My husband says that we should enjoy such generous opinions of ourselves now because when the kids are older, they may not so charitable with us! So glad that your daughter had a great trip!

Related Posts with Thumbnails