July 27, 2010

DIY : colorful wire clothes hanger

Enhanced wire clothes hanger

We're still in summer mode here, though for K. today is the last day of his summer vacation, unfortunately. This year's summer vacation has been very relaxing - Carpe Diem (seize the day) has been our motto. We've been doing plenty of things but only because we wanted to. And today I really wanted to do something crafty! So I did. It took me a while before I came up with something, though. I made a big mess as I kept pulling things out. But then eventually pieces fell into place when I found a wire clothes hanger (check out this article if you'd like to find out more about the origin of the wire clothes hanger - the drawings are great!).

The result of my crafty afternoon is this enhanced, colorful wire clothes hanger... with a short description in 16 photographs. Again, it's an easy craft you could have your kids do or help you with on a rainy afternoon.


What you'll need:

- wire coat hanger (the ones you get at the dry cleaner's)
- bias tape, ribbon, or a piece of fabric
- a piece of (masking) tape
- white glue
- optional: ribbon, rivet punch + rivets

Enhanced wire clothes hanger


Steps:

1. If you don't have ribbon or bias tape at hand, make your own (pic. 4 & 5) by cutting a long strip from a piece of fabric. Don't bother about cutting in bias, we want the ribbon to fray! Yes, fray! Although I had only a small piece of fabric, I cut one long strip from it. This is how: start cutting a strip lengthwise from one side to the other, BUT WITHOUT CUTTING THROUGH TO THE VERY END! Repeat, alternating sides as shown in the diagram below.



2. Attach the ribbon to the wire coat hanger as shown in pic. 6 and wind the ribbon around a couple of times to hide the tape.

3. Next, start twisting the ribbon around the wire all the way around. Don't be afraid of the fabric fraying - we like the effect! To make sure the ribbon is everywhere tightly twisted around the wire, check once in a while and twist the ribbon between your fingers as you work your way back to where you stopped.

4. At the bottom of the hook twist the ribbon around both wires and work your way up the hook (pic. 9 & 10).

5. Cut off the ribbon leaving a 1 inch end. Put on some white glue and next continue twisting the ribbon, smearing the glue in and over the fabric and such way that the tip is completely covered and there are no loose ends left (pic. 11-13).

6. Optional: Decorate with a tag. I used stamps for this and the motto of our summer "Carpe diem". Make one for every family member and have their names on it, or if you plan for a summer party make one for every guest. The possibilities obviously are endless. Use the rivet punch to attach a rivet and tie to the hanger with a piece of ribbon. All done!

30 comments:

veee said...

Sweet~~
I'm always tossing these.

Baa-Me Kniits said...

That is a lovely idea! Your fabric you chose is so fresh and summery :-)

Laura said...

I love this idea!! What a great way to use fabric and make your closet prettier!

cindy said...

this is a great idea! i have some crocheted hangers my aunt made and would love more, but i don't crochet. your technique, i can do.

cindy said...

oops ... about how much ribbon/fabric do you need to cover the hanger?

Pascale said...

To be honest, Cindy, I have no clue how much fabric went in it. It wasn't much, that I do know. My ribbon was two meters in length, maybe, and about 1-1.5cm wide? But with the "technique" described for cutting your own ribbon in the instructions you could just cut more ribbon as you go - just don't cut off the ribbon but leave it hanging to the piece of fabric you cut it from. I'm not sure if that's clear... Let me know if not!

mermaids said...

cute cover up for wire hangers. btw, "carpe diem" means "seize the day," as in take all you can from it. "cease the day" would mean to end it. :)

Pascale said...

@ mermaids: Thanks for pointing that out - That's what you get when you're going too fast! I just read over it, I guess...

Aimee said...

great idea! we're in the middle of winter here, so it's ice to see fun summer colours.... love the beautiful photo of the sunflower in your previous post- sounds like a nice holiday time for you.
hope your daughter has a lovely birthday.

blue moss said...

love love love the color....i made some with torn muslin that i love...but they are falling apart....
i love how finished and colorful these are...totally inspiring
you have the best tutorials
michelle

casserole said...

I don't think I've ever loved a clothes hanger before, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!

I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-fabric-wrapped-clothes-hangers/2010/07/28/

--Anne

mayaluna said...

These are just beautiful, Pascale! I've made several of these in linen and muslin, but your colorful fabric makes these so special and cheerful. Love it!

tammiemarie said...

Yours are so pretty! I made a bunch of these to use in my craft booth. I covered mine with hot pink gingham, and tied a bow around the top! Sew so cute!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Wow, that is SO pretty! I love how this came out. The inside of my closet is painted aqua... I might need matching hangers. =) Thanks so much for the great idea, I'll be linking.

katie jean said...

I love the fabric that you used to make this. I usually through out the wire coat hangers, but this is so cute and fresh!

cindy said...

i made a couple of these hangers using liberty of london fabric so they're really special and easy to make - http://flic.kr/p/8pgcUE

kataryna said...

Just finished making a sweet hot pink one of these! I had extra cut fabric so instead of a tag, i made a bow! It's so cute! Thanks, this is great!

Anonymous said...

where did you get this fabric?

Robin said...

Great way to recycle (or upcycle as I like to call it.) I love it and would love to see you post this at my linky party Upcycled Awesome!
http://tinyurl.com/Upcycled8

Moe said...

I love your tutorial! I've mentioned it on my blog Cross My Hooks for Make it Monday! please pop by!

http://crossxmyxhooks.blogspot.com/2010/08/i-am-back.html

kataryna said...

I too professed my love for this tute on my blog a couple of times! Using my new hanger and a couple of pretty hand stamped clothespins, I created sweet little clothing display combo! Check it out if you like!

http://thechibiadventures.blogspot.com

A. said...

Love! it!

ELK said...

i had to smile ..I 've been doing this for years ..great way to recycle clothes..i do this on childsize plastic hangers for baby gifts

KooKoo said...

this is soooo cute! thanks for posting it :)

Micah-Noel said...

Oohh... I love that fabric!

♥ nualan ♥ said...

OH! I love it!
Can i post in my blog?!
I mencion you, of course...
Thanks!!

Seaweed and Raine said...

This is amazing - I really want to give it a go! My hubby has a thing for wire hangers, but uncovered they are... not so nice. What is the pretty fabric that you used? (Not that I would use it for him! lol)

Anonymous said...

This is so adorable.
Where can I find cute fabric like the fabric used for this.
Whenever I go to somewhere like Joann's or Hancock I have a hard time finding fabric I like. It's usually like Dora the Explorer and Winnie the Poo.
Does anyone know where to find cute fabric, fabric that you might see in Juniors' clothing or something??

Hangers said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Success! Completed my first hanger. I went to a fabric shop and got a fat quarter (18"x22") it was more than enough to cover a wire hanger

Related Posts with Thumbnails