March 16, 2012

Leather and gold

Leather and gold

A couple of months ago, I came across a very nice piece of pigs leather, not tanned and very soft. Surprised by how cheap it was (I couldn't believe it was actually real leather at that price) I couldn't resist and bought the skin. It took me some time to decide on how and what to use it for. I kept it neatly in my closet with a nice ribbon tied around it. Once in a while I would take it out, pat it, fold it, smell it. A bag for sure, but what kind of a bag? I went slowly on this project. At some point, I decided I wanted to paint on it - I had never done this before - I tested a couple of designs and colors on pieces of scrap leather and then I just went for it. Triangles. Gold.
No way I'm a bling-bling girl, but given the subtle color of the skin a little bit of gold wouldn't harm, I thought. I tested a couple of techniques to get clean cut triangles onto the leather and went with freezer paper. It took me another week or so before I had the courage to actually cut up the leather and start sewing. I can't say all went well - there are a few flaws in both the design and the execution, but it doesn't look too bad for a very first, homemade, full leather bag.

Next week, I'll give your more details on the process, but now, I'm off with my brand new bag!

Wishing you a great weekend,

xo, P.

13 comments:

Pétra said...

I love the design! You did such a great job for you first leather bag I especially love the strap and pinking details.

Crochetblogger said...

The gold is a nice touch. Smart choice!

Nicole/brussels said...

Leuke tas, vind ze buitengewoon mooi! Goed gedaan Pascale!

lightbluegrey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Petra said...

Heel mooi! Is de binnenkant gevoerd of is dat gewoon wit? En naai je met een speciale naald? (Wat een inquisitie, sorry...)

Becky said...

How inspiring!

lightbluegrey said...

prachtig, Pascale ;)

Seaweed and Raine said...

Go Pascale! You can't tell from the photos that there are any flaws. I quite like the design of your bag - I think it's something that I would use quite happily. Nicely done! :)

fraufertig said...

This is wonderful. I admire your work a lot! Thank you.

fraufertig

petitejosette said...

this is a very nice purse. I love the sleek lines and the little bits of gold but still it keeps a "natural" aspect.
I,ve been thinking about making a leather purse myself and I'm wondering: Did you use a domestic sewing machine? did you have any problems with the thickness of the leather? would you have any tips or tricks to chare?

thank you!

Caja Calabalumba (Sole y Kito) said...

que hermoso diseño!

Cindy said...

love the gold!

Ammie said...

It's lovely. I have scooped up some large leather jackets from the thrift store to repurpose with some of your designs in mind. Thanks for your inspiration, and I'm excited to read about your design process for this piece.

Related Posts with Thumbnails