February 22, 2013

Work in progress :: hand sewing leather

work in progress

work in progress

work in progress

Something I'm currently working on.

I finally found the courage to start cutting in one the many hides I own - I'm literally sitting on a mountain of leather, enough to pave a room.

Too worried to damage my precious sewing machine (and leather), I recently turned to hand sewing my leather projects.
I spent the better part of yesterday afternoon sewing, sitting on the floor in front of the window for better light, the leather in my lap.


To be continued today, I hope...


Seaweed and Raine said...

It must feel wonderful - the motion of rhythmically pulling the thread over and over through the leather. Enjoy! :)

heodeza said...

Stunning photos!
I look forward to seeing what you're making. :-)

Anonymous said...

Love this, just wondering..did you just force a needle through or did you use an awl first ? Regards.

ibb said...

Don´t you sew with two neddles?
I have no machine and "must" handsew..that is why I am so lazy I think...but usually make with two...
Looking forward to what appears..

Pascale said...

Yes, I sew with two needles, too. And I use a leather craft pricking iron or chisel or whatever these things are called to make the holes. This works great for me and the sewing is pretty fast too. I prefer hand sewing because you have full control over what you're doing, which isn't always the case if you're using a standard sewing machine, even when equipped with a special leather needle and presser foot.

Related Posts with Thumbnails