October 21, 2008

Scarves are hot...




French women wear scarves. Always. You don’t need much more but a scarf to keep warm. That’s their philosophy. The latest trend in Paris, as in many more cold places on this globalized planet, is the long – and I mean long! – hand knitted scarf, in robust, thick yarn. They come in all patterns, shades and prices and have one thing in common: the long fringes which add even more length to the already lengthy accessory. As Fall is traditionally “crafty” season for me, I decided to knit one myself. I gave up knitting sweaters a long time ago, because of the many unfinished projects and even more unused odd yarn I collected over the years. But a scarf was a manageable project, I thought. I found some really beautiful, nice and soft yarn just around the corner here. However, what should have been a just-a-couple-of-hours-job has been taking several weeks now. First, I didn’t start out with the right needles. Next, I wasn’t too happy with the side stitches. And after knitting quite a bit I decided that maybe, after all, the pattern I chose wasn’t that pretty. However, the end is within reach now for scarfv5.0 and maybe, maybe, I’ll manage to finish before we leave to the sea-side on our well-deserved fall-break…
Related Posts with Thumbnails