April 14, 2009

Versailles

I hope you all had a nice Easter weekend and all have recovered well from eating too much chocolate... Our Easter bunny played it safe this year and brought books for the girls, two large chocolate eggs and and a couple of Kinder-surprise eggs, well aware of our littlest one's allergies... And the girls seemed perfectly happy with that! So, no tummy aches here and lots of fun reading!

The weather was really nice here, for the entire Easter weekend - and still is! As K. had to finish off a couple of things for work, I decided to take the girls to Versailles on Sunday afternoon. We visited the "château" last Fall when the Jeff Koons exhibit was on (really cool!), so this time and because of the lovely weather we just wanted to visit the gardens. Luckily Marie-Antoinette's gardens are large enough to receive a large crowd, as crowded it was!
Unlike last Fall, now the fountains were on, which made the gardens even more beautiful. The only thing I'm not so sure about I liked, is the music that accompanies the fountains. I know a lot of people just go for that, like the lady in front of us while we were waiting in line at the entrance. But to me, it just didn't feel right. Don't get me wrong, I love baroque music and classical music in general. But I also like the sound of water clattering down. Now, it seemed there was a little too much of everything: music through the speakers, people chattering and water clattering... Though I can imagine listening to a live (!) classical concert near the fountains at night, being magical...

Anyway, we had a lovely afternoon. M. and me both brought our camera and H. took care of reading the map. She's just starting to read and got herself a map at the entrance. At some point, M. and me were taking pictures and we somehow lost her out of sight. It freaked me out given the large crowd, but Margot was the first one to spot her. She'd just continued walking - it was such a cute sight: that little girl, with her little nose stuck in the map, walking down the path, not aware of anything happening around her, of the crowd, of us not following...
I think M. captured it really well with her little camera...



And then the girls kept wondering what it must have been like in Marie-Antoinette's days - how/if she was able to walk along these long lanes, in a wide and heavy dress, with a heavy wig and high heels, about which one was her favorite fountain... Marie-Antoinette...
Related Posts with Thumbnails