September 22, 2009

The cement garden...



First of all I'd like to thank you for the comments on my previous post. It was interesting to read how everyone, though blogging, prefers to keep private in one way or the other, be it by not posting pictures or names or a combination of both. As to me, I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing, the way I'm used to. Though at times I've felt REALLY tempted to post that "one gorgeous shot" of one of my loved ones, so far I've refrained from doing so and I'll keep doing so. After all, my girls didn't ask for their mommy to start blogging. And even though K. has been very supportive about my blogging attempts I do know for a fact that he doesn't want to see his picture here nor the girls'. And I need/want to respect that. Also because the worried mom that I am, I want to protect them. So, no close-up photographs of people on this blog. After giving it somewhat more thought the last couple of days, I decided not to see this as a limitation but rather as an opportunity, a challenge to photograph or portray in a different way, in an evocative rather than an explicit way.

The more pictures I take the more I realize what a wonderful and yet powerful tool photography is. You can use it to show the reality as it is. The plain facts. But you can also manipulate, frame that reality, create moods which aren't really there. I came to realize this even more so, while at the park last Saturday. It was a beautiful sunny day and a totally happy me. I shot flowers, butterflies, trees. As I was making my way through the park I came across a couple of wooden benches and trees planted near a wall. Left and right from this scene everything was green. So were the treetops. Kids were playing and running around, people were chattering and laughing. There was nothing there that would make one feel sad, or lonely. No melancholy, no darkness.
And yet I shot these...


The Cement Garden The Cement Garden

I manipulated the reality of a sunny late September day...
Related Posts with Thumbnails