January 29, 2010

Valentine's Day :: Crocheted hearts tutorial - part 1



As promised yesterday, here's the Valentine's heart tutorial - part 1: a flat heart.

Needed: 1 crochet hook and some red yarn. I prefer cotton for this, but any yarn should work.

Stitches used and abbreviations:

cs = chain stitch
sc = single crochet
dc = double crochet
slst = slip stitch
st = stitch

Pattern:

row 1: cs 5 and make a loop with a slst through the first cs

row 2: cs 3 (makes the first stitch of the row), dc 5 through the loop = 6 stitches

row 3: cs 3; * 1 dc in first stitch of previous row, increase by making 2 dc in underlying stitch previous row *; repeat * * once, 1 dc, 1 dc = 9 st

row 4: 3 cs; * 1 dc, 1 dc, increase 2 dc *, repeat * * once, 1 dc, 1 dc, 1 dc = 12 st

row 5: 3 cs, * 1 dc *, repeat * * 4 more times, increase 2dc, repeat * * 5 more times, 1 dc = 14 st

row 6: 3 cs, * 1 dc *, repeat * * 4 more times, + 1 sc +, repeat + + 3 more times, repeat * * 4 times, 1 dc = 15 st

row 7: 1 sc, * 1 sc, 1 dc, 1 dc, 1 sc, 1 sc *, 1 slst, 1slst, repeat * * backwards, 1 sc, 1 slst - cut off yarn and pull end through loop to bind off. And done!


When you think this is complicated try to read it out loud - now, that's complicated!! LOL!

And now I'm off to make another three dimensional heart, because, of course when I made the first one, I just went on and on instead of writing down everything I did... So, wish me good luck and then hopefully you'll find part 2 here tomorrow!

11 comments:

Miss Butterfly said...

Thanks for this great tutorial ! I managed to make an heart in less than 5 minutes !!!

Have a nice day !

nicole/brussels said...

zeer mooie foto's!echt een "schoon rood" zoals ze bij ons zeggen, en contrast op dat ecru linnen is perfect match!!

Pascale said...

@ Miss Butterfly: Wow, 5 minutes! That's pretty fast! I'm glad it worked!

blue moss said...

Ever since your granny square post, I have been itching to try to crochet....thanks for this fun project.....my knowledge is super minimal but I would love to try. And.....your photos are so lovely. Happy weekend. (and thanks for the sweet b day wishes)
Michelle

Elsa said...

thanks ever so much for the tutorial! love the heart and your blog too! very generous of you to share!

nicole/brussels said...

wat is de bedoeling van het koordje? point de répaire?

craftydill said...

These hearts are great... thanks so much for sharing this tutorial!! If you would like to see the garland I made from hearts I made, you can find it here: http://craftydill.blogspot.com

Maria said...

I have to try this! Thanks for sharing!

Bettina said...

This looks so lovely! I'm dying to make it, but I'm a crochet newbie.. Do you think you could explain in a little more detail how to make this heart? That would be wonderful! :)

Bettina said...

I'm stuck in row 3. I've done the three chain stitches, but I don't know which stitch of the second row i'm supposed to use to do the dc. Help! ;)

Micheal Adams said...

You are so generous! I just love finding beautiful and artistic freebies like this. They really brighten up my day, thank you!
clipping path service company

Related Posts with Thumbnails