January 30, 2010

Valentine's Day :: Crocheted hearts tutorial - part 2

Crocheted Valentine's Day Heart

I got really nervous about this particular crocheted heart. After I did the first three-dimensional one, I had to make another one in order to write the tutorial (why didn't I anticipate this?!) and I started panicking I wouldn't be able to replicate. But, as you can see I managed to do so and if you look really carefully, you'll notice this one actually looks better than its fellow over here. That's probably because this time I had to pay attention to what I was doing. Hence, no mistakes in this one. It's perfectly symmetrical and looks much more like a heart than the first one - though anatomically I would say the first one's probably a better match.

Anyway, if you want to make one of these goodies, this is what you'll need:

- a crochet hook
- red yarn
- 2 pieces of thread of different color for marking stitches or stitch markers if you would have any of those
- roving or fiber fill (I was lucky to still have some red roving left from previous needle felting projects)

Stitches used and abbreviations

cs = chain stitch
sc = single crochet
slst = slip stitch
st = stitch

Pattern

round 1: 5cs, close loop with a slst

round 2: 1 cs, 8 sc = 9st

Mark first stitch using one of the colored threads or a stitch marker.

round 3: 1 cs, 1 sc, increase by making 2 sc in every underlying stitch of previous row, finish round with 1 slst = 18 st.

Mark with the other colored thread or a stitch marker after stitch number 9.
Note: make sure to move up the stitch markers as you go - the markers split the work exactly in half which will help you in making the heart perfectly symmetrical.

round 4: 1 cs, 1 sc, 2 sc in every next stitch, 1 slst = 36st

round 5: 1 cs, 1 sc, * 1 sc, increase 2 sc, 1 sc, increase 2 sc *, increase 3 sc, increase 2 sc, increase 3 sc, repeat * * backwards, increase 2 sc, 1 sc, 1 sc = 26 st.
1 cs, * 1 sc 6 times, increase 2 sc, increase 3 sc *, increase 2 sc, repeat * * backwards, 1 sc = 26 st.
Repeat this sequence on the other half of the stitches. You should end this round with 52 st.

round 6: 1cs, * 1 sc 10 times, increase 3 sc in next stitch, 1 sc *, repeat * * backwards. Repeat this sequence on the other half. You should end with 58 st.
1cs, * 1 sc 11 times, increase 2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc *, repeat * * backwards = 29 st. Repeat this sequence on the other half. You should end with 58 st.

round 7: 1 sc 5 times, decrease by making 1 sc every other stitch 9 times, 1 sc 5 times. Repeat this sequence for the other half. You should end with 38 st.

round 8: 1 sc 5 times, decrease by making 1 sc every other stitch 5 times, 1 sc 5 times. Repeat for the other half. You should end with 32 st.

round 9: 1 sc 5 times, decrease by making 1 sc every other stitch 2 times, 1 sc 5 times. Repeat for the other half. You should end with 26 st.

round 10: 1 sc 5 times, decrease by making 1 sc every other stitch 2 times, 1 sc 4 times. Repeat for the other half. You should end with 22 st.

round 11: 1 sc 4 times, decrease by making 1 sc every other stitch 2 times, 1 sc 4 times. Repeat for the other half. You should end with 18 st.

You can start stuffing the heart with the roving or fiber fill and shape if needed. Continue to add as you go.

round 12: 1 sc 2 times, decrease by making 1 sc every other stitch 1 time, 1 sc 3 times. Repeat on remaining stitches.

next rounds: continue to decrease like in previous rows until you have 1 st left. Bind off and hide the remaining end inside the heart with a needle.

Just a final note: the first couple of rounds look kind of weird - ruffled - and I'm sure you'll wonder how this ever could become a heart. Don't worry about this. As you soon as you'll start decreasing stitches the heart shape will come.

Good luck!

20 comments:

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Your photos are so beautiful! They make me want to do the project just so I can snap a finished shot. So lovely. Thanks so much for this pattern, I'll be linking.

Andrea, creative collector said...

Very cute and creative. I just want to have a little draw string bag full of hem to press into peoples' hands on Valentine's Day. Love it!

nicole/brussels said...

laatste foto en hartje vind ik zéér mooi, het tweede hartje is duidelijk mijn favoriet, perfect gemaakt, mooie gelijkmatige steek, I love it!!

joanie said...

I love these. If I could get lovely yarn like that I would have a go, even though I'm a huge crochet rookie.
Very pretty!

Jolene Ko said...

Your photography is amazing so is your little creations. Thanks so much for sharing.

Allison said...

thanks for the patterns! your hearts are so pretty. i especially love this one because i've never crocheted a 3-d heart before. i can't wait to try.

jane said...

how i wish i could crochet...

Shanny said...

How lovely! Thank you for sharing

Heather said...

Really cute heart. I gave it a try last night, but something seems off with rounds 5 and 6. I finish round 4 with 36 stitches, but when I work the first half of round 5, I don't have enough instructions to work 18 stitches (half of my stitches from round 4) I have 2 or 3 stitches left to work before starting on the next half (3 if I put my first sc into the first stitch as done in previous rows, 2 if I skip the first stitch which I suspect is what we are supposed to do). Looking ahead, round 6 looks like it has the same problem. It appears to have enough instructions to work into 50 stitches, but we are supposed to finish round 5 with 52. Help?

Pascale said...

To Heather: I've been counting and recounting tonight and I'm afraid you might be right - there's a mistake in the pattern (I thought I'd been really careful...). I hope you did find a way around, if not, you can find the adjustments for rounds 5 and 6 below (I'll make the same adjustments in the post):

round 5: 1 cs, * 1 sc 6 times, increase 2 sc, increase 3 sc *, increase 2 sc, repeat * * backwards, 1 sc = 26 st.

Repeat this sequence on the other half of the stitches. You should end this round with 52 st.

round 6: 1cs, * 1 sc 11 times, increase 2 sc in next stitch, 1 sc *, repeat * * backwards = 29 st
Repeat this sequence on the other half. You should end with 58 st.

Thanks for pointing this out, Heather!

Now, just a final remark, mistakes can happen even with counting and recounting. The pattern is kind of forgiving, though, as long as the mistakes are not too frequent and as long as you maintain the symmetry.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Round 8 isn't correct, nor 9, as far as I can tell. Help.

Heather said...

Sorry to finger point and disappear. Thanks for the update and correction. It did look like a pretty forgiving pattern, I was just starting to think I was doing something wacky thought I should check...hope I didn't sound too complainy :)

Can't wait to head home and give it another try tonight! Thanks again.

Matt Watson said...

Hello,

You have a wonderful blog :)

I linked to this tutorial in my own blog here: http://iamcraftykiwi.blogspot.com/2010/05/i-dont-really-like-crochet-but.html

Hope that's ok with you.

Matt

amongthechimneypots said...

I'm going to a crochet class tomorrow... fingers crossed I can manage this soon! So sweet!

Jacky {The Sweetest Petunia} said...

This is so cute! I'm definitely going to try my hand at making one, or more! Thanks for sharing. ;)

Niche said...

http://piefingers.tumblr.com/post/3048355724/the-starts-of-a-valentines-gift-i-hope

Okay, so this is my first ever crochet thing i'm following a pattern for...and i'm totally terrified that i'll spend 4000023040 hours trying to do it, then will get to the end with what will look like a new ball of yarn...

in the photo i've just finished round 3...is it meant to look like that? lol. thank you for this pattern - they are very cool and i hope i can make at least a few for valentines day!

Pascale said...

Hi Niche,

It's difficult to tell from the photo - but make sure to keep crocheting circularly. It won't look anything like a circle (more like a saddle) because of all the increasing of stitches, but you need to go all the way around for every single row.

Kaylovesvintage said...

that looks so pretty

Anonymous said...

It is soooooooo cute but I don't understand round 5......what do you mean by repeat backwards.......n.......in round 4 we completed with36 stitches how can I complete it with 52 stitches?????

Gabi said...

Vielen ♥ lichen Dank für diese nette Anleitung!
Toller Blog mit schönen Foto's!
Liebe Grüße
Gabi

Related Posts with Thumbnails