March 4, 2010

Polka dots :: a garland

polka dots garland

Winter break is still on, so I have been busy with keeping the girls busy, mainly, for the past two weeks. But thanks to clever planning on my behalf - both girls have a friend over at this very moment - I found some time for a craft - or two...

This is craft number one: a garland with the leather polka dots from a couple of days ago. Simple, easy, but I like it! I used two different colors of thread for the sewing to get a baker's twine effect (and also because I couldn't make up my mind as to which color looked best).

Not sure if I'll keep the garland for special occasions or have it up in our "studio" (I'm a bit worried about a clash of colors) or in one of the girl's rooms maybe ...

polka dots garland

Instructions:
for this little craft I used a circular (paper) puncher, leather scraps in different colors, thread and sewing machine. Cut circles with the puncher, thread the sewing machine with two different colors top and bottom, "feed" the leather circles to your machine - for the space between circles, just continue sewing without feeding... Don't forget to make a knot at the beginning and end to secure.)

17 comments:

RosaMaría said...

fantastic proyect!! the two color in theads is just clever!

holly p said...

So cute!! You must take pictures when you decide to hang it :)

sheppy said...

Beautiful, as are all of your creations!

May I be so bold as to ask the brand of punch you use? The ones I find in France don't seem to be able to punch through heavy weight paper, much less leather!

Thank you for all of the lovelinessa.

Duzza Bear said...

Love it! I'd like to know what kind of punch you used too. My cheapo would be useless on leather.

Pascale said...

I used a Fiskars Squeeze Punch for this - it works perfectly on thin leather, for the orange (thicker) leather I had to squeeze the punch a couple of times but it still did the job. I got mine at BHV here in Paris, but you can find them on Amazon as well, and probably in most craft supplies stores.

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Love the garland, its so cheery :-) Show us pictures when you hang it please. Love the two colour thread, will use that idea myself sometime, very effective!

nicole/brussels said...

hou van dit werkje, is mooi, grappig en ja, zeker ophangen! is te mooi om in een kast of doos te worden opgeborgen!

cindy said...

the garland is fantastic and i love the two color threads. great idea! enjoy your weekend!

踢人 said...

your artical is so funny!! it make me so happy!! ........................................

mon ami said...

this is lovely! The colours are great together and I love the two tone threads.

I was just given a bag of leather scraps to play with and I was trying to figure out how to cut and sew them. The punch looks great! Do you use a special needle in your machine as well even for thin leather?

xo

Pascale said...

Oh - about the needle - I totally forgot, but yes, for my last couple of projects I've been using a special leather needle on the machine. And I can tell you, it does make a difference!

jane said...

thank you!

Vebo said...

sweet and nice idea!!! it comes to my mind for a curtain those pretty garlands!!

creativejewishmom.com said...

Lovely project! I did a similar project with blossom shapes cut from disposable tablecloth material. I'd love it if you'd drop by my blog linking party every Sunday, but open until Tues @creativejewishmom.com
hope to see you there!

Rachel said...

This is so cute!!!!!

i made one similar for new years but with circles of recycled magazine pages.

Love this leather version a ton!

Maman Cheriies said...

Hello,

I have a question.

When I sew a garland of paper, yarn between the circles is not rolled up. How do you do?

I draw the length I want to sew a circle, maybe it's not like the way to go.

Excuse me for my English, I'm French.

Thank you in advance.

Jen said...

Thank you for your post. This is awesome, very adorable and perfect for the kids. We also created a similar project which can be found here:

http://earlylearning.momtrusted.com/2013/03/year-of-the-snake/

Related Posts with Thumbnails