June 16, 2010

All new!

new bag prototype

A new prototype has rolled from under my presser foot! And I like this one a lot - to the extent that I might do a tutorial for a light version if there's enough interest (and if I can find a spare couple of hours, that is).

I started this bag two nights ago, with no particular plan in mind. I cut a piece of fabric - I didn't even bother to take out a ruler or measuring tape, I just cut! And the rest just happened...

What I like most about this bag are definitely the handles. I saw this very minimalistic approach to handles - unfortunately, I can't remember where - a while a go and I decided I wanted to try a version of my own. Hence, I punched a couple of holes in the leather straps (with my new 4 EUR hole puncher, my new best friend) and sewed them on by hand (so much easier than sewing them on with my stubborn machine, it turns out). I added the little leather patches on the inside to give the tote a finished look there as well, and to add some extra support to the fabric - I must say that I really, really like this little detail.

All that remains to be done now is putting the bag to the test. I just need to make sure the handles will hold up well enough before I take this bag to the next level...

17 comments:

t a n y a said...

beautiful bag, love the stripes!

virginia said...

i love your new prototype - i've seen similar handle treatments, but it's your unique punch and stitch pattern, plus color combination, that makes it distinctive.

Crafting in the beach hut said...

Another great fabric and simple chic design - love it. Does this one not have your trademark leather square on the outside?

I was glancing through a tutorials website the other day and saw one for a linen shopping bag - I immediately knew it was one of yours as it had a little brown leather square on the outside - when I clicked it brought me here. It's not easy to differentiate in the crowded bag market but that's a great touch so people know you're you - would love a tute if you get the chance, Lucy xox

RosaMaría said...

i love this one!!! the fabric is fantastic!

Elsa said...

love the bag! I've been making quite a few similar bags (sans the leather) and love them! I can choose my own fabric and it's totally unique (unless someone copies me) from any other bag!

Kimberly said...

This bag is so beautiful! I love the color of the leather straps - so rich and gorgeous! And the stripes are such a sophisticated color palette - love the splash of yellow. Amazing, as always.

nicole/brussels said...

zeer mooi! en wat had je voor mij in petto? remember mother's day? the promise? I'm still waiting for my special one!;-)

eloleo said...

I really, really like this tooooooooo!!! Prachtig, dat detail en die stof.

kirsty said...

It's just gorgeous, i love it.

craftydill said...

this bag is fabulous! i just can't tell you how much i love the striped linen you've been using! -michelle

mon ami said...

I really love this latest creation. You honestly work wonders with leather!

I for one would be interested in a tutorial if you find some free time;)

you are amazing
xo

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Fantastic bag, Love that fabric that you used :-)

cindy said...

yes, i love the handles and how you attached them. the stripe fabric is wonderful and so is the pretty lining. i think that's just about everything. oh, and your label looks terrific!

Nauli said...

Just love it! Wish you great success with this stunning bag!

vlijtig said...

A fabulous bag! Could you tell me where you've found the beautiful fabric?

Budji Tresvalles said...

Great and wonderful projects! Thank you for generously posting your DIY projects. You have cured my restlessness (and sort of depression)! I knew from the start I saw you works! Thank you, Pascale... You don't know how you impacted my life.

Hello from Manila, Philippines!

Ms. B

Patricia B said...

Love it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails