November 19, 2010

These boots are made for walking

these boots are made for walking

These are my favorite boots. Ever. I bought them in 1998. They were quite pricey then but worth every penny. The store, in Leuven, where I got them no longer exists. I wore them with skirts, jeans, dress pants - you name it. They were so comfortable I wore them through my entire first pregnancy.
Two winters ago, they got totally wrecked in a terrible rain storm. The soles, which already had holes in them, I admit, came completely loose and the leather got white rings all over. Total loss, I thought. But I didn't throw them out. I simply couldn't. I wondered about it a couple of times, but I just couldn't do it. A couple of weeks ago, though I was convinced they were beyond repair, I decided to take them to the shoe mender. Not the regular shoe repair store but a real old fashioned one. The store as such is a delight, really. Wooden shelves, finished shoes in brown bags waiting to be taken home, the smell of leather and polish, rubber and yes cigarettes, too. I had to go back a couple of times, but the guy kept promise. He fixed them, colored them where needed, polished them and now they look like brand new again. I've actually never seen a sole finished this beautifully and perfectly. Many years and many boots later, they're still my favorites.  I won't take them through the rain again, as they deserve respect after all these years!

7 comments:

CraftyCripple said...

Your books are gorgeous. I'm so pleased you were able to rescue them. It just goes to show that with the right skill, you can mend most things.

Stephanie said...

Wow, I'll have to keep this in mind if I ever come across a pair of shoes I love that much. I know that there is a shoe repair shop in our town, but I don't know what kind of place it is as I have never been inside. Maybe I'll have to check it out.

nicole/brussels said...

dit is pas vakmanschap, chapeau voor de schoenmaker.... en voor pascale om haar mooie laarsjes te warderen, zien er prachtig uit!!

cindy said...

those boots are fabulous and it's so great to find an 'old-world' craftsman to make things all better. they were made for walking and so were you ;)! enjoy your weekend!

Jannette said...

Love the boots! I have got a favourite pair dating back to 1996 - and a very very kind (and forgiving!!) shoemender regularly nurses them back to health. Isn't it the most wonderful feeling, to have them back again?!?!!

by night said...

elles sont fabuleuses! j'ai aussi une paire de shoes fétiches que je garde parce que aucune paire ne pourra jamais les égaler mais que je ne mets plus de peur de trop les abîmer. Quelle chance que ce coordonnier de génie ai pu leur donner une nouvelle vie!

photo-copy said...

Da's echt vakmanschap! Adresje?

Related Posts with Thumbnails