February 5, 2011

Valentine's Day :: DIY embroidered tape and a box

embroidered tape gift wrapping


I love Japanese masking tape - I have a small collection of tape in different colors and patterns. The only problem I have with Japanese tape is that it doesn't stick. At first I blamed it on the paper I was using, but I've tried it on several types of paper and every single time the tape was undone by the time I was to give my present. It doesn't exactly leave a good impression at the receiving end - Oh, I'm sorry but I started unwrapping it already for you...hope you don't mind - It makes you look like a toddler at a birthday party!

Now, as you may know, I've been experimenting with Vliesofix lately and fabric, embroidered or not, on paper. Contrary to masking tape, it sticks!  And while I was thinking of a way to wrap my little notebooks for sending them off, I thought why not use the very same technique for wrapping - a piece of embroidered fabric to stay within the theme and to add a little accent to envelopes or to adorn small gift boxes with and wrapping paper. (Mind the idea of fabric tape isn't new. Check out Annekata's tutorial, for instance, which you can find here and la.daridari's fabric tape which you'll find here) So, I embroidered little bits and pieces in the same fashion as the little note books, and it worked out really nicely, if I may say so. I was also lucky to find (in my own closet of all places!) narrow double sided tape from a big tape brand , which made the task even easier.  I've tried it a couple of times now and it works like a charm - the only thing that didn't make it was the button I attached onto an envelope sent across the Atlantic - which was risky, I know. The button didn't survive, but the rest did, as you can see here!

Valentine's Day :: DIY gift wrapping



If you want to give this a try, this is what you'll need:

- fabric scraps
- embroidery floss and a needle
- sewing scissors
- scraps of Vliesofix
- double sided tape
- gift boxes, wrapping paper, tissue paper, envelopes, greeting cards...
- buttons


General instructions:

- embroider the little scraps of fabric
- cut a piece of Vliesofix or double sided tape to size and stick it to the back of the fabric strip
- next, stick it onto envelope, wrapping paper, greeting card, gift box, ...





For the box:
- The little box  in the picture is a single chocolate box turned inside out - carefully undo the glued side of the box, turn inside out, and glue the side closed again.
- sew a button onto a strip of fabric
- put tape onto the back of the strip, leaving the button part of the strip, tape-free!
- stick strip to the top of the flap of the box - the button part is loose
- with a needle make a hole centered in the middle of the front of the box and pull through a piece of thread (make sure to tie a knot!)
- close the lid of the box and next twist the thread around the button


A couple of side notes:

1. When to use Vliesofix and when tape?:  use Vliesofix for sticking fabric onto an envelope or greeting card - use tape wherever you would use regular tape (on wrapping paper, gift boxes, etc.).
2. Why use Vliesofix and not glue?  Though glue might also work, I believe you get better results with Vliesofix - it's much neater to work with for one thing (no sticky fingers), dries instantly and doesn't leak through the fabric, blotting it or making it stiff.
3. Make enough of these at once and keep them in a little box, ready for immediate use.




Have fun creating!

Please note, these tutorials are intended for personal use only. Therefore, do not reproduce, sell or commercialize in any form without permission. Thanks for understanding!

If you made something using a tutorial found on this blog or if you got inspired by something you found here, make sure to post your pictures here.
Related Posts with Thumbnails