July 6, 2011

Beach, sun and ... a new picnic blanket

 picnic blanket

Finished it last night and we love it!
My first real blanket.A happy blanket.
The girls helped me with laying out the fabric squares, 100 in total. We decided to just randomize instead of going with a regular pattern and it turned out just fine! Only the white fabric with shrimp and water melon among other things, is new (IKEA) - everything else we had, I even went looking in my girls' sewing baskets (light blue/white gingham).
Since I didn't have time for quilting the blanket, I knotted the layers together using embroidery floss. For the inside I used a 100% cotton woven 'molton'.

Let's hope the weather will be good enough tomorrow for a picnic at the beach, so we can break in our new blanket (as no food nor dirty feet were allowed on the blanket until some pictures were taken tonight...)!

15 comments:

Seaweed and Raine said...

So summery and fresh! I love it! Just need a glas of cold home made lemonade to go with it. I actually love the knotted quilts as opposed to the "properly" quilted ones - they seem to have a softness to them that the other's don't

Sara said...

I love this! I keep thinking someday I'm going to make a quilt from all the vintage sheets I've collected from thrift stores. I imagine the one you made will just get better and better with time.

Echo M said...

This is GORGEOUS! I love it! I am going to make something like it I think... I have been meaning to work through a bunch of my scraps.

129twigandvine.com said...

I love the back just as much as the front! Perfect on the beach, but it must also be so pretty on a bed with the striped top turned back to invite you into bed for sweet slumbers. Is that a slice of watermelon on one of the patches, or am I just imagining that?

Pascale said...

A slice of water melon it is! It couldn't be any better for a picnic blanket, this IKEA fabric - it has cherries, shrimp, lobster, glasses of wine, banana, pine apple, ... I had no idea what to use it for when I first bought it...

Trace said...

looks great, I love it, the colours are so beach-y, hope you have lots of good times using it together

Decoration said...

I love the back just as much as the front!

Cindy said...

i love the back, too! i love it all!

jane said...

it´s gorgeous! have i told you lately that you are awesome?
big hugs!

Jill said...

Beautiful blanket! I hope you get some good beach weather to use it!

Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

blue moss said...

Love it.....hope you have been enjoying it.
Happy summer
Michelle

mahaila said...

These photos are really lovely. Seeing a handmade quilt on the beach...well it's a first for me. Great idea. A summery quilt for a summery location. love it!

Ricochet said...

I first came to your blog looking for a new bag pattern and found much more. I love your sewing tutorials, your photos, your sense of style, and the overall "look" of your blog. I put a link to you in my "favorites". If you have a button, I'd love to add it.
Best,
Ricochet and Away!
ricochethandbags@hotmail.com
www.ricochetandaway.blogspot.com

Andrea, the little collector said...

What a delightful blanket! Perfect. Congrats on your (successful!) first foray into quilting. :)

Sew,ray,me said...

I absolutely LOVE the colours you've used in this quilt - very inspirational for my toddlers first quilt I've yet to make for his bedroom!

Related Posts with Thumbnails