June 12, 2009

Chaotic afternoon...



After a week of rain and cold - I had to wear a sweater and socks again! - we finally got the sun back, yesterday afternoon. Perfect timing, as I had to go out to go get some fabric for a skirt for M. - a skirt she'll be needing for her class' end-of-year spectacle (can't believe it's that time of the year already!). So, I went to the Marché Saint-Pierre (where else), found some fabric (of which I knew right after I paid, it wasn't the right choice for M., but that's a different story) and was happy to see I still had some time left for a stroll through the Montmartre area.

Montmartre is a very touristy place, but after a couple of turns left and right I was almost on my own. I just love that area! I got completely carried away. It's so different from the rest of Paris: the small and narrow streets, the cobble stones, the stairways leading you up and down, the old buildings with their shutters, ... Very poetic, very romantic, very photogenic...
Of course, I had my camera with me and I took the time to make a couple of black and white pictures.

Unfortunately, this wonderful afternoon ended slightly chaotically. On my way back, I got stuck on the metro, because in one of the trains in front of us a passenger got sick and needed medical attention. No way I would make it back in time to pick up the girls from school... Frantically, I started making calls (a good example of my "emergency" cell phone use): both of my girls' schools to let them know I would be late and to ask them to inform the kids, a friend who I thought could take H. out of school when picking up her child, but who I couldn't get hold of because - as it turned out later - she too got stuck somewhere, and K.! Poor K. rushed out of the office, off to pick up the girls.

By the time I got to H.'s school, so did my friend and so did K., all three of us out of breath. I felt so totally embarrassed! So now, when I look at yesterday afternoon's pictures, even though I like them, I feel slightly guilty, because of all the trouble I caused.
One picture less, would probably have made the difference...

Have you gotten yourself into trouble recently? I'd like to know!









6 comments:

Sara said...

GORGEOUS pictures! I, too, LOVE that area of Paris. Sorry that taking time to snap these photos caused so many problems, but it sounds like it all worked out in the end!

RosaMaría said...

¡¡¡beautiful pictures!!! you are great with your camara!

dont feel guilty! the train problem was'n your fault!!

have a super weekend!
un abrazo!

Carolyn said...

Your pictures are beautiful! Last week I was late picking up my kids, because I was buying a new sewing machine :) It didn't seem like the tension was quite right, so I wanted them to look at it. They thought they'd be able to fix it really fast, and they did, but it made me about 10 minutes late picking up my girls. I knew it was going to be close, and I just should have gone back the next day to pick it up.

I lied and blamed it on traffic. I'm terrible...I know. But I didn't think "I was waiting for my new sewing machine to get a minor adjustment and I thought I could make it" would be a very good excuse!

nicole/brussels said...

onvoorziene chaos... doch zo'n mooie foto's, het bekijken waard!zou zeggen;geen wroeging, alles is toch goed gekomen niet?

cindy : quaint said...

i'm sorry for the chaos, but not sorry i love your photos. it looks like an amazing place.

Andrea said...

Isn't that part of Paris lovely? When I visited I stayed in a little walk-up hotel room in that area (after I decided that sharing a coed hostel room with 11 other people...including the stinky cheese man in the bunk above me wasn't the experience I was looking for.) I loved this neighborhood.

What beautiful photos!

Related Posts with Thumbnails