August 24, 2009

Light house :: filtered

One evening, near the end of our stay, I left the apartment equipped with my camera, tripod and a rain jacket. I wanted to go take pictures of the lighthouse I'd spotted that afternoon in the neighboring beach town. "I'll be back before you're in bed", I promised the girls before heading out.
Well, ... no need to tell what happened. I got a little carried away, I'm afraid...


The light house I initially planned taking pictures of - I couldn't find the right angle nor the right spot to make pictures of it at its full length... however...


... there was a light house on both piers right in front of it, too...


same thing in black and white



almost as if taken on a film set... where's Ingrid Bergman??


The three pictures above were taken with the ND filter I got recently. My first long exposure pictures. I'm still not sure which one(s) I like best, the one in color or the ones in black and white. There's something surreal about the black and white shots, I find. Almost as if they were taken in a studio somewhere, not on a windy pier.

What I like about long exposure shots in general, is how everything gets flattened out, becomes smooth and silky. What looks like a dead calm sea, as flat as a tabletop, was a stormy sea in reality.

Isn't that exactly what the human mind does - getting rid, over time, of details and excess information - just keeping the broad picture?



For more pier pictures click here.

3 comments:

nicole/brussels said...

mijn favoriete foto is de laaste in zwart-wit, zéér mooi!idd zou kunnen op een film-set zijn, heeft iets "afwachtend",nu nog stil doch....

cindy said...

i really love the last one. so moody. i've never tried long exposures, but want to, now. and i agree, it does seem to capture the moment more in the way we remember it.

Mostly Silent Partner said...

Gorgeous shots! I don't know about Europe, but in the US it can often be challenging to find lighthouses or good spots to view them. We publish some maps that help.

Related Posts with Thumbnails