November 6, 2009

Flea market find



Yesterday afternoon I went to the flea and antiques market at La Bastille. Though the weather looked very promising in the morning, it was pouring by the time I hit the market. But it was fun nevertheless, except for the soaked shoes and cold feet the rest of the day.

I like flea markets, not necessarily to buy, but just to look. The reason I hardly ever buy things is because we don't have the space for even more stuff in our tiny apartment. And also because I'm simply not good at it - the bargaining I mean, and telling the good stuff from the junk (unless it's obvious, of course). But once in a while I discover something I really want. And that's exactly what happened yesterday when I found these hemp (chanvre in French) bags, once used for transporting wheat and flour. The guy selling them had a whole stack of them. All in the same natural oatmeal color, but all very different because of a different line pattern. Some even had initials embroidered on them. Though clearly used, they were in mint condition. Since I just got there I decided to wait and to continue my way through the market.
But I couldn't take these off my mind and I went back. I chose one with blue lines - just one! can you believe it?!- which took me some time as they all were gorgeous. (as I'm writing this I'm thinking of going back, maybe - don't tell K.!)

I'm not sure what I'll do with it. Sew some pillow covers for our couch at the seaside was the initial idea. It's really big so I could easily get two covers out of one bag. However, for now, I want to keep it as is and look at it, touch it, feel it.
Because, really, isn't this a great find?!



I just love the details: the hand stitched seams, the hemp string tied in a knot, the irregularities, the texture...



Check out here for another detail...

7 comments:

RosaMaría said...

really you are a very lucky girl! that bags are so beautiful! i love the oatmeal color with red and blue lines... so simple... so perfect! i want to see what you'll do with it!

cindy said...

i really love those linens and can't wait to see what you make. i wish i could get one in red.

mon ami said...

these are my favourite colour combos when it comes to fabric (or maybe anything) - the oatmeal linen, red and blue. So pretty. Enjoy!

nicole/brussels said...

prachtig materiaal wat textuur, kleur en dessin betreft, echt iets om te hebben! kussenovertrekken zou een goed idee zijn, alsook een stevige linnenmand...of mss overgordijnen! mogelijkheden genoeg! en er echt maar eentje van gekocht? spijtig toch zoiets origineels!

Claire said...

I think I would have had a crazy moment an bought the whole pile! I really admire the stripes and the chunky weave. I can't wait to see what you make from it.

Joan said...

Found your blog because of Sew Mama Sew tutorials....your Beach photos from Nov. 3rd are absolutely beautiful!

Andrea, the collector said...

Wow. They are fantastic. I am amazed at your restraint! :) Can't wait to see what it becomes!

p.s. I love your daughter's sign. La vie est belle. I agree!

Related Posts with Thumbnails