September 20, 2011

Pretty in silk

Pretty in silk

I mentioned my silk blouse a couple of times already. I meant to show you pictures of me wearing it, but am to lazy/ busy right now to set up all my gear for an auto-portrait photo shoot. So here are a couple of pictures of the blouse on a nice hanger - just imagine a nice blonde (grey?) middle aged girl wearing it to get the full picture...

I used Burda pattern 7294 (read the review, which I just happen to find now, but which I agree with for most parts, especially the finishing of the edges) and made a few minor changes:

- I left out the elastic in sleeves and bottom of the shirt and just finished off with a regular hem, which works great - I wish I'd done the bottom hem by hand as I did with the sleeves - I'm actually considering redoing it.
- since I don't like the look of raw edges (even when finished off with a zigzag it looks unfinished) I used a French seam on all seams - a perfect finishing especially when using silk
- I made the sleeves slightly shorter and finished them by hand using a slip-stitch
- I didn't quite like the suggested finishing for the collar and bow tie. I used a rolled hem instead, but next time I'll make sure to finish the neck with a bias or use facing for both tie and neck.

I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. I love the silk ( love the fluttery drape!) which I got really cheap at one of those stores here in Paris at the Marché St.-Pierre where they only sell left over fabrics, end of series, often from designers, at really good prices.
I didn't realize it until yesterday when I was looking for something to wear on top of it (it's getting chilly here in the mornings and evenings), but the blouse pairs up really well with this wrap I made last year and which I'd almost forgotten about... A new favorite outfit for fall!

14 comments:

by night said...

elle est superbe! très élégante

Fleur said...

Wow, mooi! Leuk patroon zeg.

Pascale said...

Ja, en erg eenvoudig te maken - als je een beetje kan doorwerken dan heb je het op een namiddag klaar!

Pascale said...

@ By night: En effet, même avec un jean! Style chic-décontracté. J'adore!

Seaweed and Raine said...

Silk feels wonderful - doesn't it! I love that your blouse has the tie to give the top even more interest than the fabric itself lends. Doubled with the wrap? Bliss.

Ana said...

How beautiful! Super-chic.

I still haven't mastered silk... there are a couple of projects languishing at the bottom of the "unfinished" pile but I don't think I'm going to get to them any time soon.

Die van A (Luc - Christel - Gaëtan) said...

Wat een mooi stofje!!!! Whaauw!!!

Christel

Ine said...

Love it!!!

Ine

lightbluegrey said...

Hi Pascale,

Love the model and the fabric.
Btw, we had thoughts about silk at the same time:
http://lightbluegrey.blogspot.com/2011/09/hometowngirl.html

lightbluegrey said...

And... if you happen to have some fabric left-over, I would love to make that dress mentioned on my blog... I'm dreaming...

lightbluegrey said...

sorry, kan natuurlijk gewoon in het nl's!

nicole/brussels said...

wel , zou echt iets voor je mama zijn, met haar grijze haartjes nu! spijtig dat ik geen zin en geen mogelijkheid meer heb (door arthrose in de nek, kan ik niet tè lang gebogen blijven zitten om te naaien en patronen over te tekenen!
vind de stof zéér mooi, alsook het model, dus van mij krijg je een 10, ook voor de afwerking!

Cindy said...

it's absolutely gorgeous! looks light as a feather!

nicole/brussels said...

mooie bloes, doch zou de zoom hedoen en met de hand afwerken net zoals de mouwtjes, nu stoort het stiksel wat!

Related Posts with Thumbnails